Nicki AkinSenior Attorney
I have a passion for navigating clients through the divorce process. I work closely with each one to identify his or her short and long-term personal and financial goals and devise strategies for accomplishing those goals. In addition to family law, I also have a background in complex civil litigation, which has provided me with a unique perspective and creative problem-solving approach in my divorce litigation cases.Education
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law*, J.D., Cum Laude
*purchased by Texas A&M University in August 2013
- Texas A&M University, B.A. English Literature
- Won bench trial involving fraud on the community estate, resulting in a significantly disproportionate division of the community estate in favor of the client.
- Briefed a Texas Court of Appeals on a complex property division issue involving mineral interests, leading to a favorable ruling.
- Prevailed on a motion for summary judgment involving characterization of separate property assets worth over $5 million.
- Represented client and achieved a disproportionately favorable settlement involving restricted stock units in a privately held corporation.
- Achieved multiple settlements for stay-at-home moms to receive disproportionate shares of high net-worth community estates.
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas Family Law Section
- State Bar of Texas Litigation Section
- The Collaborative Law Institute of Texas
- Drafting Discovery Requests, Interrogatories, Objections, and Admissions, Co-Author with Brandy R. Manning, presented at State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery, San Antonio, Texas, May 23 – 24, 2019.